This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Saturday 19 July 2014

It's All Relative

Over the last couple of days, we've have the pleasure of hosting my sister, Amanda, and brother-in-law, David, who joined us from their home in Ladysmith, on the east coast of the island. As I've aged (and improved with age, naturally), I've gained an increasing appreciation for family. I'm entirely not sure why I didn't have that appreciation earlier in my life because I had a wonderful childhood, with loving and caring parents. I just seem to have matured later in life in this respect.

Growing up, Mandy and I were close, especially during our teen years, but once I left home, and started traveling on the road with April Wine and other bands, I drifted apart, and more than just geographically. When Mandy and David got married, I was marooned in a snowstorm in Moncton, New Brunswick, on tour with April Wine. It's something I've come to regret, although Mandy graciously exempts me from blame.

When our Dad died in 2000, Mandy and I had to go back to Ontario to close out the estate, and the week-long process, although obviously a sad one, served to reassert a strong bond that has brought me much joy.

I've been enormously lucky also that David is just a great guy. Much more a brother than simply a brother-in-law, and he is an accomplished photographer to boot, so we have a common passion (best read 'obsession' here) that keeps us busy whenever we're together. David's portraits are marvelous and he is gaining a local client base who are extremely pleased with his work.

Mandy and David were the pioneers of the family, moving to the west coast twenty-one years ago, and this year, will celebrate their forty-first anniversary! Marcelle and I migrated west, to Seattle, in 1997, and moved back to Canada, settling in Langley in 2007. I was delighted when my kids joined me out here as well, so it's been a real treat to have the family close enough together that we can visit fairly frequently.

Yesterday, the four of us had lunch at the TacoFino Cantina (as you, Dear Reader, know by now, one of our favorite restaurants) and then walked from Incinerator Rock up to Schooner Cove. It was a grey, overcast afternoon, but the threatened rain considerately held off until we started back down the beach, and then only misted upon us during our walk.

Our time spent together is always a treat, with a wide-ranging variety of conversational topics, and just a sheer enjoyment of good company, good food and good vibes. This morning, we took breakfast together at The Blue Room, and then bid them goodbye as they make their way back across the island to their home. We would have enjoyed having them here longer, but they have two cats, and thus were anxious to get back to check that Management was getting up to no high jinks.

Ah, family... it's a relative thing!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment