This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Tuesday 25 February 2014

Rainforest Walk Redux

This morning, I took Marcelle to the Lost Shoe Trail, or as it is also known, the Walk in the Rainforest Trail. Now that I had a mental map of the trail, I wanted to show it to Marcelle as she is always enchanted by the rainforest.

This time, I shot predominantly with my Voigtländer 12mm f5.6 lens (18mm 35EQ) to get a very wide view of the forest. The tricky bit is trying to setup the tripod on the narrow boardwalks.

The sun was streaming through the canopy, delicately rim-lighting leaves and lichens; broad rays painting the forest floor in a green-based chiaroscuro.

 

Marcelle is always fascinated and delighted by the new spring growth and was marveling at the tiny new leaves.



There are, as in all rainforests, all manner of interesting stumps and things that catch your eye, and it's easy to anthropomorphisize them and find familiar 'images'. For example, this stump below instantly struck me as a psychadelic cow, with a cigar in its mouth.

Well, er, perhaps those mushrooms had something to do with it.

It will be fun to go back when the salmon are running and get some shots of the spectacle.

 
More to come from this cool little hike. Hey, we still have to explore the right-hand fork at the second Tee-junction. Stay cool!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment