This is a journal of our retirement move and life in Ucluelet on Vancouver Island's ruggedly beautiful west coast. The town's motto is "Enjoy life on the edge".

Follow our new adventures at Eyes On Vancouver.

Check my main photography website, or follow me on my Facebook page.

Click on pictures to see them full size.

Thursday 21 August 2014

For Love of the Frame

As a lifelong passionate photographer, it was natural that I tried to interest my kids in photography, just as my father had indeed done with me. I can say that it worked 2/3's of the time. That is, two of the three took to it, while my son Alex never seemed to have been bitten by the bug. Rachael is an accomplished artist who can produce a work of art in the sand with a few flourishes of a stick, and works with all manner of media, including creating the most intricate and beautiful food items. She's an omnivorous photographer, always ready to grab an image, even with her iPhone.

 

When I gave Cameron a camera, he took to it immediately and has a good eye for composition and balance. We've spent many hours out together, tramping the back roads and trails, and now beaches, quietly content in each others' company, searching out images to gather. Compared to his sister, Cam is more of a studied photographer who moves more methodically, planning his images and often working with a tripod.

 

 

While Cam was here this trip, we gave him Marcelle's old iPad, and I showed him how to download his SD card to it and use some of the apps for doing some post-processing on his images. Because it is so portable and generally as capable as a laptop or desktop, I find the iPad a perfect photographic companion. This blog, for example, is completely constructed on my iPad using an app called Blogsy.

 

 

It's a lot of fun having a hobby or interest you can share with kids, it makes it that much more special to be a mentor when asked, and then to see, with pride, the results that are achieved. And, of course, the satisfaction that you see in your child to be able to produce something, anything, that is from the heart.

 

 

 

Being a photographer is being in search of beauty, structure, colour, chaos and timing. All to fill that little frame we look through. A frame we choose to see our world through.

Just love that frame!

No comments :

Post a Comment